Bathurst dating site
The second church, which replaced it in 1837, served as a defence station in 1846 during the hostilities. This one, too, has strong links with the history of the 1820 Settlers. St Stephen's is a fine historical country church, recently restored to full use.This church was built in 1832 by Settlers who belonged to the Methodist Church. It complements the collection of country churches in the Lower Albany Region such as St John's in Bathurst and St Mary's in Cuylerville, and fully warrants recognition.It is T-shaped and, together with the other neighbouring church, which was erected in 1874 in the neo-Gothic style, it forms an important architectural group. The sturdy stone church at Glen-Lynden was built as a result of co-operation between the Scottish 1820 Settlers and their Dutch-Afrikaner neighbours to meet their need for a church of their own. This neo-Gothic church was erected in 1853 by the Revd. This property was probably granted to the Church Council of the local D. Church early in the 19th century, although the building of the parsonage and cart shed was only commenced in 1848. Impressive neo-classical church based on Sir Christopher Wren's design for St Martin in the Field, Trafalgar Square, London. Impressive pedimented stepped entrance supported by stone columns. Entry at corner marked by ornate tower with a copper dome.It was built in 1828 under the leadership of Thomas Pringle Type of site: Church. Robert Barry Taylor, the then missionary in Cradock of the London Mission Society. The property is adjacent to Tam's Built It Builders Yard and across from retail trade i.e Ellerines Furniture Store, Ok Bazaars and the Inland Revenue Office. The parsonage, which was used as such until 1904, is mainly assoc Architectural style: Cape Dutch. This church building is situated on the same site where the first Dutch Reformed Church in Cradock was built between 18. Symmetrical single-storey ridged building extended to side, with central and end gables. Fenestration makes use of nine-pane casement windows, nine-pane middle-swing windows and stained glass windows.Sani Pass, whose highest point is in Lesotho, is negotiable only by specialise off road vehicles. It was John Pringle who built this stone church in 1840. In 1905 this institution was moved to Potchefstroom where it eventually gave rise to the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education. About a kilometre further east from the end of the road, beyond the sand dunes, lies K Bartholomew Diaz, the famous Portuguese navigator and discoverer of the Cape, erected a cross or padrao on 12 March 1488 at Kwaaihoek. The property is located 488 km from Port Elizabeth and located on the fringe of the CBD of Aliwal North, abutting the main road en route to Jameston-Queenstown, East London. Besides the fine detailing of the exterior, this church, completed in 1907, has an interior which is still an accurate example of its period. Built in a U shape, the school has a roof of corrugated iron which extends over the building at the rear elevation to form a veranda which is supported by seven square stone pillars.This parsonage was erected in about 1860 for the Rev. A replica of the cross has been erected on the same bleak, exposed spot, high above the waves. The property is over the road from the Aliwal High School. The town of Aliwal North owes its existence mainly to two of the oldest and most convenient drifts through the Orange River that formerly provided access between the Cape Colony and the Transgariep. Believed to have been designed by Sir Herbert Baker this sandstone building was erected during the last decade of the 19th century. This early Victorian dwelling-house with its two impressive triangular front gables dates from the 1830s and was erected by Captain Thomas Cowedroy. The east end has a facade broken by three lancet windows heavily rusticated and underlined by a plaster pediment. Towards 1844 about 300 families living between the Stormsbergspruit and the Kraai River were granted permission by the Dutch Reformed presbytery of Graaff-Reinet to establish a parish of their own.
To protect this territory he started to build a network of forts. This military building complex was erected in about 1840 and until 1862 served as an important centre of among others, the Cape Mounted Riflemen. The farm Glen Thorn lies about 26 kilometres north of Adelaide, on the left side of the road to Tarkastad. The monument ori The Theological Seminary, now in Potchefstroom, started in Burghersdorp and it was the centre of a strong movement for the recognition of Dutch as an official language. In Burgersdorp there is not only a monument to commemorate the struggle for the recognition of Dutch, but also another brings to mind the three-year-long Anglo Boer War.Gothic revival church with rectangular plan, vestry to side. It is a replica of the Harpenden Chapel in England. Symmetrical single-storey ridged building and outbuilding, with end gable lean to at back, with stoep to front. Construction work on the present church commenced in January 1864 and it was consecrated on 10 September 1868. Type of site: Commercial Current use: Financial Institution.